Over the past 8+ years, I’ve had the pleasure of working with an array of local and international clients including Numi Organic Tea, Stanford University, Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum, the Omidyar Group, a few big banks, LG, UNICEF, and Hyundai Motor Company.
I try to simplify and lead from behind. I believe that words have meaning. I believe in talking less and listening more.
Most of my recent design work is not publicly shareable. To learn more, please send an email to rachel.sakai at gmail.com
Sr. User Experience Designer and Strategist, Daylight Design
User Experience Designer and Design Researcher, self-employed
Digital + Emerging Media Intern, Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian National Design Museum
MFA in Design, California College of the Arts
Graphic Designer, self-employed and in-house
10 truths about me
- I like to make things: sewing, knitting, gardening, brewing…
- I got my first job as a graphic designer after first working in the company’s mail room.
- California is and (almost) always has been home.
- I’ve read or listened to the Harry Potter books at least 5x apiece (except Order of the Phoenix, Harry is a real shit in that one).
- Sometimes I worry that being a UX designer is making me less creative.
- My very first and my most recent cars were both pickup trucks.
- Yes, my last name is Japanese. No, I don’t speak Japanese. Yes, it is a shame.
- I’m married to a scientist.
- I’m a middle child.
- I’m a lefty.